The path less traveled...

The path less traveled...

Friday, August 19, 2011

Forgive + Forget = PEACE?

I have always been interested and have been trying to find ways to be a better muslim. However hard I tried my worst stumbling block was to suppress my anger. However, Subhanallah, after reading an article by Sis Hanaa Hamad on Forgiveness and Tolerance in Islam. This para stood out;
"Islam teaches us that the strongest of servants are those who not only have the strength to suppress their anger when they are tested but also possess an immeasurable capacity to forgive. The Prophet ﷺ said that: “Whoever suffers an injury and forgives (the person responsible), God will raise his status to a higher degree and remove one of his sins” (Al-Tirmidhi). If we can sincerely forgive those who anger us, inwardly and outwardly, then that cleanses our souls from the shaytan (satan) and his negative energy. It is important to disregard vain criticisms and this is the first step toward being tolerant. Of course, this is not done without difficulty because it is hard to understand why those who have caused us grievances wanted to do so in the first place. But this is where the battle with our inner self can take a positive turn and allow us to elevate our iman (faith). This inner struggle is what the Prophet ﷺ called “The Greater Jihad” because it involves tolerance and fighting the evil within ourselves in order to purify our hearts. This is always done for the sake of Allah and to purify our spiritual conditions."

It has led me to make the following deduction, that what I need to do is not to overcome or suppress the rapid anger that I have in me...but is to be forgiving first. Alhamdulillah, I tot in the beginning that it was easy for me to forgive but usually I did it after my anger had erupted. My wish in the beginning was to be able to suppress that anger than to be rid off it (because that what I thought I should do) and that I found was sooo difficult...it is always easier said than done. So suppressing my anger was i thought the greatest challenge...well I guess that is half the battle of my way to be stronger :). Then I realised, MashaAllah! If only I can forgive easily 1st than I will not get angry. So the equation is:
to quickly forgive, + to quickly forgive, + to quickly forgive = peace (you will not be angered)

Suppressing my anger will not help
if I don't forgive quickly
It will burn my insides
And erupts like a volcano
When I can no longer suppressed it
it should NOT be there in the 1st place
so there is no need for me to suppress anything

The equation is:
immediately forgive + immediately forgive + immediately forgive = peace

by giving the person the benefit of the doubt that he/she has no idea that u are hurting :)

Thus the equation to be a stronger muslim; insyaAllah is to forgive immediately so you will not even need to suppress your anger. Sis Hanaa Hamad wrote;
"The Prophet ﷺ and his companions were so merciful in their conduct that instead of becoming angry with their offenders, they defended them and gave them gifts. What immeasurable acts of compassion."
My deduction is that you should reward the person because you might have wrongly thought that he/she had wanted to hurt you. When in fact that person have no such intention of doing so. In any case, if that person do have the intention then he/she is actually doing you a favour by giving you the chance to "upgrade" yourself to being a better Muslim because he/she is giving you the opportunity and the challenge to be tested. Haha!!! What a wonderful way to be a better Muslim! MashaAllah! 

Let's just hope this analysis of the equation;
forgive+forget=peace 

will help me in preventing myself from falling into the pit of anger again....now that Ramadan is about to end. I hope Allah will give me the opportunity to meet another Ramadan so as to give me the opportunity to better myself, insya'Allah.

Please forgive me if my rambling has caused some discomfort on your part as a reader, I just need to make sense of how I can handle my emotion better and one of the best way is to analyse and reason myself out.

Whatever good comes from Allah and all the nonsense are due to my own weaknesses...feel free to share how you handle your emotions (if you don't mind doing so)

May the remaining Ramadan filled with all the blessings that over and above what we deserve due to Allah's Mercy and overpowering Love to all of us...Ameen...

No comments:

Post a Comment